Idaho® Peruvian Potato Cakes
- 4 pounds Idaho® Purple Potatoes
- 5 each egg yolks
- 4 ounces butter
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup herbs chopped (parsley, thyme)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon salt
- Boil large purple potatoes in boiling water until fork tender.
- Carefully peel the potatoes while warm, discarding the skins and placing the meat of the potato in a food mill or kitchen aid with the paddle attachment.
- Warm the cream and butter and add to the potatoes and add all ingredients. Set the eggs aside.
- Completely blend all the ingredients until the potatoes are smooth and then add the egg yolks one at a time until incorporated.
- Spread the potatoes out on a cookie sheet or a one-inch sheet pan and spread smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap to prevent from hardening and cool overnight in the refrigerator.
- Cut out desired size of potato with a cookie cutter or ring.
- Set up a breading station of AP flour, whisked eggs and coarse bread crumbs.
- Bread them by placing in flour first, brush off excess flour and completely coat with egg and then transfer to bread crumbs. Repeat this process for a double breading.
- Fry the potato cake in oil until golden brown and finishing in the oven until hot and serve.
Yield: 10-15 servings
Westin, 2nd Floor Restaurant