Heart-Healthy Idaho® Potato Pumpkin and Pepita Patties
Idaho® Potato Pumpkin and Pepita Patties deliver a dose of sweet heat in every bite.
- 3 cups instant Idaho® potato flakes, divided
- 1½ cups skim milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup egg substitute, divided
- ¾ cup shelled, unsalted, roasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 teaspoon salt-free Cajun or Creole seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- In a medium bowl, using a whisk or wooden spoon, combine 2 cups of the potato flakes with the milk, pumpkin, ⅓ cup of the egg substitute, the pepitas and the seasonings. Mix until well blended; set aside.
- Place the remaining ⅔ cup egg substitute in a small bowl. Place the remaining 1 cup of potato flakes into a pie plate.
- Heat a 10˝ skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Using a ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop the reserved potato-pumpkin batter into your clean hands and form into 2½˝ wide patties.
- Dip each patty into the egg substitute, then into the potato flakes, coating both sides. Repeat until you have enough to fill the skillet.
- Fry the patties in the hot skillet, cooking until golden brown on each side. Coat the skillet with more cooking spray if the patties begin to stick.
- Transfer cooked patties to a platter.
- Continue to form and fry patties until all the batter is used.
- Serve patties warm or at room temperature.
Serving suggestion: Top with a little whole berry cranberry sauce, if desired. Heart-Check certification does not apply to serving suggestions.