Crispy Masala Leaf Potatoes
You’d never believe something this gorgeous needs just 5 ingredients! Crisp on the top and bottom while molten soft in the center – it’s the magical dish that will elevate your gatherings!
Read Tina's full post here.
- 5 pounds Idaho® Russet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup olive oil, divided
- Cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Wash and peel the potatoes. As you work, immerse the peeled potatoes in a large mixing bowl full of water to prevent discoloration.
- Trim the rounded sides of each potato till it looks like a rectangle.
- Using a mandolin slicer set to 1mm, slice the potatoes. Wash thoroughly until the water runs clear to remove excess starch. Drain on a colander.
- Add the ground spices, salt and oil (reserving 2 tablespoons of oil for later) and using both hands, combine until distributed evenly.
- Line a 9 inch square baking pan with foil for easier cleanup. Brush the bottom lightly with oil.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Position the baking rack to the middle slot.
- Starting from one end of the pan, arrange the seasoned potato slices left to right, overlapping and moving row-by-row at even height.
- Brush the top of the potatoes generously with the remaining oil.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 400°F for 1 hour until golden brown. Re-position baking rack to the lower slot, and continue baking for 15 more minutes until the bottoms are crisp.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately. To slice, use scissors to cut through the rows vertically and use an offset spatula to lift the slices from the pan in one piece.