Butchertown Gnocchi with Wild Mushrooms
- 3 pounds Idaho® russet potatoes
- 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus salt for water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- Parsley, chopped
- Parmesan cheese, grated
Wild Mushroom Mélange
- 3 lbs Wild Mushrooms
- 1-2 T Unsalted Butter
- Bake potatoes at 400°F (conventional) or 375°F (convection) until fork tender, 45-60 minutes. Let cool enough to handle; remove skin.
- Using a small-hole potato ricer, sieve the potatoes into a bowl and set aside.
- On work surface or very large bowl, make a layer of the cooked potatoes and mound the flour on top forming a small well in the flour.
- Whisk together the egg yolks, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and olive oil; pour into the flour well. Gently fold the potato and flour mixture over and over creating a soft smooth dough. Do not overwork the dough. Add a small amount of additional flour if needed to prevent from getting sticky.
- Cut dough into eight equal portions. Roll each piece into an even strip, about 3/4-inch thick
- With a dough cutter or bench scraper, cut strips into 1-inch wide pieces. Roll each piece over the back of a fork. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the gnocchi in batches until they float to the top, about four minutes. Remove with a skimmer and let cool. Repeat with remaining dough. (Gnocchi can be formed, covered well and refrigerated up to 24 hours before boiling).
- Clean 3 pounds wild mushrooms. Slice as needed. Heat 1-2 tablespoons unsalted butter in a large sauté pan on high heat. Depending on size of pan, cook about half the mushrooms at a time for about two minutes, stirring every 20 seconds until the mushrooms start to brown slightly. Season with salt and pepper. Repeat with the remaining mushrooms. Set aside until ready to brown gnocchi.
- In a large sauté pan on medium high heat, heat enough butter and vegetable oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Add gnocchi to fill pan but not overcrowd, or portion per servings. Cook, shaking pan often until gnocchi are golden brown, about 3 minutes. Add a few tablespoons stock and portion of Mushroom Mélange; cook for 90 seconds until the sauce thickens. Add a sprinkling of chopped parsley. Plate servings and garnish with grated Parmesan.