Idaho® Potatoes with Garlic
Be sure to dry the potatoes in the oven as described in the recipe as it is crucial to their success. Perfect served with beef or chicken, they're a nice change from the classic mashed potatoes.
- 1 1/2 lbs Idaho® Russet Burbank potatoes, peeled
- 1 head fresh garlic
- 1 cup cream or half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Cook the potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain potatoes and dry them out in a 350ºF oven for 10 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, peel all the cloves from the head of garlic and, in a small saucepan, simmer them with the cram or half-and-half, milk and butter. When the garlic is very tender, set the mixture aside.
- Puree the potatoes and the garlic mixture through a medium disk of a food mill or mash with a potato ricer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If necessary, thin with more milk. Keep warm until serving.
- SERVING SUGGESTION: Just before serving, stir in snipped chives and cream fraiche if desired.