Breakfast Idaho® Potato Boats
Monica Kass Rogers
- 6 oz Linguica, diced
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 baked Idaho® potatoes, cut in half lengthwise and hollowed out
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 green onions, diced
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Using coals only, place cast iron skillet into campfire using direct heat cooking, with coals on bottom and sides of skillet.
- Sauté the diced Linguica over the campfire coals in a cast iron skillet.
- Add diced onions and sauté until translucent and Linguica is crispy on the outside.
- Remove from skillet, set aside to cool.
- Leaving grease from sautéing Linguica and onion in skillet, place scooped out potato halves in cast iron skillet.
- Add salt and pepper to potato boats.
- Fill potato boats with Linguica onion mixture and diced green onions.
- Jalapeño peppers, olives, mushrooms, chilies and other such fixings can be added at this time if desired. Scramble eggs with milk, garlic salt and black pepper, pour into each potato boat to fill, or crack one whole egg into each.
- Cover cast iron skillet with one sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil.
- Bake for 10 – 15 minutes using coals only on the sides and a few on top.
- When done the eggs in the potato boats should be firm to the touch.
- Sprinkle with cheese, re-cover with foil and bake for just long enough to melt the cheese.