Baked Stuffed Idaho® Potatoes with Fresh Asparagus
- 3 large Idaho Potatoes (approximately 9 ounces each), scrubbed
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, about 12 ounces
- 8 ounces reduced-fat or fat free sour cream
- 1 - 2 teaspoons curry powder (optional, to taste)
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Prick potatoes well with a fork. Bake potatoes for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes or until yield to the touch.
- While potatoes are baking, sauté onion with olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat for 1 minute. Place cooked onion in a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
- Chop the asparagus into 1/4-inch pieces, leaving the tips 1 1/2-inches long for garnish. In a large saucepan or medium Dutch oven filled halfway with water, bring water to a boil over high heat. Add asparagus pieces, including tips. Bring water to boil again, lower heat to medium and simmer asparagus 3 minutes. Drain asparagus and add pieces (except tips) to mixing bowl.
- When potatoes are cooked, while still hot (use oven mitt to hold), slice each in half lengthwise and scoop pulp into mixing bowl, leaving a little pulp around the edges. Work carefully so the skins are not damaged. Place potato skin shells on a baking tray and set aside. Turn oven temperature down to 350° F.
- Add sour cream and curry powder, if desired, to mixing bowl and stir to combine well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spoon mixture into potato skin shells, dividing evenly. Press sliced almonds into top of potatoes and bake at 350° F 8 - 10 minutes or until hot. Serve stuffed potatoes with reserved asparagus tips for garnish.