- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream or evaporated milk
- 5 cups Instant Mashed Idaho Potatoes (dry flakes)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped or 1 can (16 ounces) chopped tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup California Raisins
- 1/2 cup stuffed green olives or a combination or stuffed green olives and pitted black olives
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1 egg beaten well with 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan*; coat well with bread crumbs.
- Bring water, salt and butter or margarine to a boil. Remove from heat; add milk and cream. Gently stir in potato flakes. Let sit for one minute then stir in 3 eggs, one at a time. Add sugar, white pepper, and nutmeg. Cover and set aside. Sauté the onion in oil until tender. Add ground beef; cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Mix in tomatoes, red pepper flakes, raisins, olives, paprika, salt and pepper. Heat thoroughly; remove from heat.
- Spread a little more than half of the potatoes over the bottom and sides of pan.
- Spoon in beef mixture, spread evenly. Arrange hard-cooked eggs on top; cover with remaining potatoes. Brush top with beaten egg and milk mixture. With a fork make a criss-cross pattern. Bake for 30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
- * A 3-quart casserole may be substituted for a springform pan.