African Stew with Idaho® Potatoes and Cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅛ teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander seed
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 2 Idaho® Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 -15 ounce can no-salt tomato sauce
- 3-½ cups homemade or prepared low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 cups cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
- 4 cups thinly sliced collard greens
- ¼ cup chopped dried apricots
- Garnish: chopped peanuts or cashews, chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a large pot or cast iron Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, cooking for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened.
- Stir in red chile flakes, ground coriander, ginger, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add russet potatoes, stir in the water, tomato sauce, and apple sauce. Turn heat up to high and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. *Alternatively, you can add all remaining ingredients and transfer to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Stir in the cauliflower, sweet potato, collard greens and apricots. Cover and continue to cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes and sweet potatoes are fork tender.
Easily adapted to a slow cooker. Vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, and dairy free.