Yukon Gold Idaho® Potato Argentinian Empanadas
- 1 large Idaho® Yukon Gold potato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (unpeeled)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup green olives, chopped
- 2 hardboiled eggs, chopped
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 3 – 9 inch refrigerated pie dough crusts, thawed
- flour for dusting
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Grease 2 baking sheets.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over low heat. Add potatoes to brown the edges, then garlic, onions and bell pepper and cook until fragrant. (Note - potatoes will only be partially cooked at this stage.)
- Add tomatoes, ground beef, salt and pepper. Break up the ground beef as it browns and stir to combine ingredients. Cook for approximately 12 minutes. Stir in olives and eggs. Do not cover. Remove from heat and set aside.
- On a floured surface, roll out pie dough and extend with rolling pin to 12-inches in diameter.
- Cut out 3” circles with the rim of a small bowl or a cookie cutter.
- Place 1 ½ heaping tablespoons of beef mixture on the center of each dough circle.
- Brush edges with egg; fold in half and crimp edges with fork to seal.
- Place empanadas on prepared baking sheet and prick tops with fork.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.