Roasted Potato & Fennel Salad
Since this potato salad can be served warm or cold, you can be ahead of the game and prepare it up to a day or two ahead of time. Or, if you run short on time, prepare it at the last minute and serve it warm or at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 14 small Idaho potatoes (about 3 pounds) quartered
- 3 bulbs fennel, cut into large dice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh fennel greens
- 2 tablespoons capers
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- To prepare the fennel and potatoes: Preheat the oven to 375°. Place the oil in a roasting pan and heat it in the oven until smoking hot. Add the potatoes and roast until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes longer. Place the potato mixture in a large bowl. Let cool about 5 minutes.
- To prepare the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, shallots, mustard, and vinegar. While whisking, slowly add the olive oil and whisk until thick and emulsified. Add the fennel greens, tarragon, and capers, and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the salad: Pour the dressing over the potatoes and fennel, and toss well. Adjust the seasoning if needed. Serve the salad warm, at room temperature, or cold.
Yield: 8 Servings