Red Chile Glazed Veal Chop with Potato and Roasted Chestnut Puree
- 4 veal chops (frenched)
- 1 cup red chile glazed (recipe follows)
- Potato and roasted chestnut puree (recipe follows)
- 1 cup red chile demi-glaze (recipe follows)
- Red Chile Glaze, first four ingredients medium chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper (seeded)
- 1 Guajillo chile (seeded)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 shallot
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Potato and Roasted Chestnut Puree
- 4 Idaho Russet potatoes
- 1 oz. olive oil
- 1 cup roasted peeled whole chestnuts
- 1 oz. chopped shallots
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small sprig fresh thyme
- 4 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Red Chile Demi-Glaze
- 4 oz. red chile glaze
- 2 oz. roasted french coffee
- 4 oz. veal demi-glaze
- Heat the oil in a medium sace pan. Medium chop and add the red pepper, Guajillo chile, garlic cloves and shallot. Cook until soft. Add the cider and reduce to a 1/2 cup. Add honey and stock. Let it simmer to 1/2 puree, pass through a fine chinoise and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Note: 4 oz. of glaze will be needed for this sauce.
- Peel the potatoes and place them in a medium pot and cover them with cold water. Let them come to a boil and cook until soft. Transfer them to a colander and let them rest for 3 minutes.
- In a medium size pot, place the olive oil and cook over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until soft. Add chestnuts, thyme, bay leaf, potatoes and garlic. Turn the flame very low and cook for 6 minutes. Remove from the fire and keep aside in a worm place for another 3-5 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and thyme. Pass potato mixture through a food mill or ricer. Add the butter and sour cream. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the potato into a pastry bag and keep warm until needed.
- Combine all three ingredients and simmer to 3/4. Season with salt and pepper. Keep hot.
- Season the veal chops with salt and pepper. Brush them with olive oil and grill on medium heat until medium rare. When almost done, brush them with the red chile glaze.
- Pipe the potatoes onto the center of each plate. Place the veal chop next to the potato and drizzle the sauce around the center.
Yield: 4 servings