Rainbow Russian Chopped Idaho® Potato Salad
- 1 1/2 pounds Idaho Potatoes (about 4 medium potatoes)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 medium red tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil leaves
- 2 medium yellow tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons tiny capers (non pareilles)
- Green leaf lettuce
- 1/4 cup chopped, toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup "light" mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup non-fat, plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill, plus several sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions (both white and green parts)
- 2 tablespoons tiny capers (non pareilles)
- 1 teaspoon jarred green peppercorns, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Boil potatoes in water to cover until just tender. While waiting for potatoes to boil, prepare the dressing. To make the dressing, mix all dressing ingredients together in a small bowl; set aside.
- When potatoes are cooked, drain and let sit until cool enough to handle, then peel the potatoes and cut them into 1/2-inch cubes. Place potatoes in a large mixing bowl and set aside. In another pan of boiling water, cook the carrot pieces until just tender, about 5 minutes; drain and add to the potatoes. Pour the reserved dressing over the potatoes and carrots; mix gently with a wooden spoon. Chill the mixture until cool, then taste and add more salt, if necessary.
- While potato mixture chills, combine the red tomatoes and minced basil in a small bowl. In another small bowl, stir together the yellow tomatoes and capers.
- Assemble the salad: On a platter lined with the leaf lettuce, arrange 1/3 of the chilled potato salad across the platter at one end. Next to it, arrange a band of the red tomato mixture, then another 1/3 of the potato mixture, then the yellow tomato mixture and finally the last of the potato salad. Sprinkle the walnuts over the potatoes and serve.
Yield: 8 servings
Sodium: 489 mg
Fat: 14 g
Protein: 4 g
Cholesterol: 8 mg
Helen D. Conwell