Strawberry Gel Ingredients:
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon agar
Diplomat Cream Ingredients:
- 1⅓ cups whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 sheet gelatin, bloomed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
Sweet Russet Chips Ingredients:
- 1 pound Idaho® russet potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 8 cups vegetable oil
Caramel Corn Powder Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup popcorn kernels
- 3½ tablespoons butter
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup mixed berries (strawberries, blackberries and blueberries) for garnish
Strawberry Gel Directions:
- Place all ingredients in a blender and process for about 1 minute.
- Transfer to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Pour into a six-pan and chill on ice until it is firm.
- Cut the strawberry block into ½-inch cubes and transfer to a blender. Blend on high until the purée is smooth.
- Strain through a chinois and transfer to a squeeze bottle.
Diplomat Cream Directions:
- Bring the milk and vanilla to a boil.
- Meanwhile, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt and whisk them into the egg yolks.
- Temper the milk into the yolk mixture. Return mixture to just a boil, then remove from heat and use an immersion blender to add the gelatin and butter.
- Transfer to a container, cover the surface of the pastry cream with plastic wrap and chill on ice.
- Once pastry cream is cool, transfer to a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and paddle until it is smooth.
- Switch to the whisk attachment. With mixer running on low speed, stream in the cream and whisk until the diplomat cream reaches medium stiff peaks. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with an 805 tip.
Sweet Russet Chips Directions:
- Thinly slice the potatoes and rinse under cold water.
- Bring the sugar and water to a boil.
- Drop the potatoes a few at a time into the hot syrup. Allow syrup to come back to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Cook potatoes until they are just cooked through and have lost their crunch.
- Shock potatoes in an ice bath and then drain.
- Spread the slices onto two sheet trays lined with silicone mats. Allow potatoes to dry overnight in a very low oven. (For some ovens, the heat from the pilot light might be enough to dry them out.)
- Heat the vegetable oil to 360° Drop the dehydrated potato slices into the oil one at a time and cook until they reach a medium caramel color. Remove from oil and cool on a rack.
Caramel Corn Powder Directions:
- Heat the oil in a pot. When hot, add the kernels and shake until the popcorn is about done popping. Transfer popcorn to a half hotel pan.
- Bring the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and salt to a boil and cook until the sugar has dissolved. Whisk in the baking soda.
- Pour the caramel mixture over the popcorn and toss to coat.
- Bake in a 300°F oven for 1½ to 2 hours, or until it’s no longer sticky. Toss about every 30 minutes.
- When the caramel corn is done, remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Process caramel corn in a food processor or spice grinder.
- Whisk the egg whites and sugar together over a double boiler until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Transfer to a stand mixer and whisk on high until the meringue reaches stiff peaks.
- Using a piping bag fitted with an 804 tip, pipe 25 to 30 small “kisses” of meringue onto a silicone mat or parchment paper. Spread the remaining meringue onto a silicone mat so it’s about a ⅕-inch-thick sheet.
- Dry the meringue in a low oven (150°F to 200°F) until the kisses are crispy on the outside but still a little chewy in the center (15 to 30 minutes). Continue to dry the sheet of meringue until it’s completely dry (45 minutes to 1 hour). Cool on a rack. Break up sheet of meringue into pieces.
- Using an offset spatula, spread about 1½ teaspoons strawberry gel on the center of a plate.
- Pipe about a quarter-size amount of diplomat cream on the plate. Place a potato chip on top of the cream and continue to alternate between cream and potato chip until you have 5 to 7 chips on the plate.
- Dust the top with caramel corn powder and garnish with meringue and berries.