Pommes Gratin Dauphinoise
- 18 100 ct Idaho baking potatoes
- Salt & white pepper to taste
- 3 qts heavy cream
- 2 or 3 cloves fresh garlic
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 1/2 lbs shredded dry Swiss cheese such as Gruyere
- Peel the potatoes and slice very thin (1/8th inch). DO NOT RINSE OR STORE IN WATER AFTER THEY ARE SLICED, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT BECAUSE IT IS THE POTATO STARCH THAT THICKENS THE SAUCE NATURALLY AND YOU DON'T WANT TO RINSE IT OFF.
- Rub a four inch deep hotel pan with the garlic cloves generously, then butter the pan. Mix the sliced potatoes in a large bowl with the cream and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the hotel pan on a sheet pan and bake uncovered at 350°F for about one hour or until the potatoes are soft when pierced with a fork. When cooled, dish the potato mixture into buttered 9 inch casserole, cover tops with shredded cheese and add a few drops more cream to keep the dish moist.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. On demand place the casserole, on a pie pan, in a very hot oven (450 or more degrees) for about 10 minutes or until the cheese has browned and the dish is bubbling.
Yield: Serves 24 people or 12 casseroles
McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurants