Papas Rellenas (Stuffed Idaho® Potatoes)
- 6 medium Idaho Potatoes (about 6 ounces each) peeled
- 1/2 medium onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 5 canned chipotle chilies finely chopped*
- 1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 cups canned tomato sauce
- cumin, salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup flour for dredging
- oil for frying
- Cut potatoes into 1/4-inch thick slices. Cook in boiling, salted water until just done, about 10 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- In a medium skillet, over medium heat, cook onions, garlic and chilies until soft, about 8 minutes. Add beef and cook an additional 7 minutes or until the beef is browned and completely cooked through. Add tomato sauce and cook until thick, about 8 minutes. Season with cumin, salt and pepper to taste.
- Pass potatoes through a food mill, then season them with salt and pepper. With clean hands, form potatoes into approximately 12 small balls, each about the size of a large lime. Roll balls in flour, covering them lightly on all sides.
- Flatten the balls into "cakes," 1/4 - 1/2-inch thick. Place approximately 1 1/2 tablespoons of the meat mixture into the center of each cake and then fold the cake up and over the filling, pinching to seal. Refrigerate stuffed potato cakes about 20 minutes.
- Heat 2 - 3 inches of oil in a deep, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat (350° - 375° F). Fry potato cakes until golden brown. Serve with salsa, if desired.
- *For a more spicy version, increase the number of chipotle chilies.
Yield: 12 stuffed potato cakes or 6 servings
Sodium: 649 mg
Fat: 35 g
Protein: 39 g
Cholesterol: 95 mg
(Recipe Photo Contest Winner)