Leah Chase's Andouille Sausage And Chicken Gumbo With Todd Down's Country Club Idaho® Potato Salad
If you’re looking to add some Cajun flare to your menu, look no further. Leah Chase of Dooky Chase’s Restaurant in New Orleans, Louisiana has perfected traditional Gumbo and paired it with Chef Todd Downs’ Country Club Idaho® Potato Salad.
The Andouille Sausage and Chicken Gumbo is full of rich and delectable ingredients including two types of flavorful sausages, diced chicken breast, onions, green peppers and celery mixed with a variety of bold spices like paprika, thyme and a hint of mouthwatering cayenne pepper. However, the dish wouldn’t be complete without its hearty counterpart, Country Club Idaho® Potato Salad. Made with classic potato salad ingredients including eggs, dill pickle relish, onions, green and red peppers, and Idaho potatoes, the unique flavor stems from Tony Cachere’s Cajun seasoning.
- 1/2 cup rendered bacon fat
- 1 1/2 pounds Andouille sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 1/2 pounds smoked sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breast, diced 1 inch
- 2 cups onion, diced 1/4 inch
- 1 cup green pepper, diced 1/4 inch
- 1 cup celery, diced 1/4 inch
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon file powder
- 1 tablespoon water
- salt to taste
County Club Idaho® Potato Salad Ingredients:
- 6 pounds Idaho® Russet potatoes
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1 1/2 stalks celery
- 1/4 onion
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 cup dill pickle relish
- 1/2 cup yellow mustard
- 4 cups mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoons Tony Cachere's Cajun seasoning
- Heat a heavy bottomed pot over medium high heat. Add the bacon fat.
- Add sausages and cook until browned, remove and reserve.
- Add the vegetables and cook until translucent, add the flour and cook until light brown.
- Add the Paprika, Cayenne, Thyme and return the cooked sausage to the pan.
- Add the Chicken stock, stir well.
- Bring to a simmer, add the chicken and simmer 45 minutes over medium low heat.
- Mix the File powder and water together, add to the soup, and stir well. Season with salt to taste.
- Cook potatoes in salted water until tender enough to cut with a fork.
- While potatoes are cooking, prepare the dressing.
- Dice the peppers, celery and onions into fine dice and chop the eggs.
- Mix remaining ingredients together, add the diced vegetables and eggs; mix well.
- Drain potatoes in a colander.
- Peel and dice the potatoes into ½ inch dice while still warm and fold into the dressing; mix well.
- Store in the refrigerator, covered.
Serve gumbo alongside potato salad.