Irish Colcannon with Spring Onions and Leeks
- 1 quart water
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 3 medium Idaho® potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped leeks
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Bring water and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt to boil in a large saucepan, add potatoes, return to a boil, reduce heat, simmer uncovered 20 minutes or until fork tender. Drain, reserving hot water and set water aside.
- Place potatoes in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer,beat on low speed 1 minute, add milk and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Beat on medium until fluffy.
- Add the reserved water to saucepan, bring to a boil over high heat, add cabbage, return to a boil and continue boiling 5 minutes or until tender, drain.
- Melt margarine in a large skillet over medium heat, add onions and leeks, cook 6 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently. Stir in the mashed potatoes and cabbage, heat thoroughly and serve topped with parsley.