Idaho® Potato Samosa Soup
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 pounds Idaho® Russet potatoes, peeled, cut into large cubes
- 6 cups cold water
- 1 cup frozen peas, rinsed and drained
- ⅛ teaspoon cumin seeds
- In a large soup pot heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, cook 3 – 4 minutes, until softened.
- Add the garlic, ginger, Garam Masala and salt to the onions.
- Stirring, cook 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- With an immersion blender, carefully puree the soup until very smooth. If you do have an immersion blender, ladle the soup into a blender or food processor, then puree until smooth. Return the soup to the cooking pot.
- Adjust the seasoning as needed.
- If the soup is too thick, add water until soup is the desired consistency.
- In a small skillet, heat the remaining teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds, cook 1 minute.
- Stir in the peas, cook for 2 – 3 minutes until peas are hot.
- Divide the soup into 4 servings.
- Garnish with the seasoned peas.