Idaho® Potato Candy Spiders
This is a recipe for you crafty folks. If you're more like me, feel free to make just a few spiders for effect, and use the rest of the ingredients for coconut bonbons.
- ¾ cup cold mashed Idaho® potatoes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (4 ounces) butter, melted
- 2 pounds powdered sugar
- ½ pound flaked coconut
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 12 ounce bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Pretzels, sprinkles and sugar eyes to decorate
- Add salt to cold mashed potatoes.
- Melt butter in large bowl in microwave, then add potatoes, powdered sugar, coconut and vanilla. Mix well. Pat into a buttered 9 x 13 pan and chill until firm.
- Break pretzels into "leg" size and have sprinkles ready to go.
- Cut chilled filling into squares and roll into balls.
- Melt chocolate chips with shortening in a heavy saucepan over low to medium heat..
- Dip balls into chocolate and place on sheet of waxed paper. Quickly decorate by placing eyes, inserting legs and adding sprinkles.
For a smaller batch cut recipe in half.