Idaho® Potato and Wisconsin White Cheddar Gratin
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature, divided
- 5 pounds Idaho® potatoes, rinsed and peeled
- 1 pound shredded Wisconsin white cheddar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish with 2 tablespoons butter.
- Thinly slice all potatoes; place in prepared dish. Layer the potatoes with shredded cheese.
- Bring milk and next 3 ingredients to boil in medium saucepan; pour over potatoes. Dot the potatoes with 2 tablespoons butter. Cover with foil. Bake until potatoes are tender and milk is almost absorbed, about 50 minutes.
- Bring cream to boil in saucepan. Uncover potatoes, pour cream over, and dot with 2 tablespoons butter and top with more cheese. Bake uncovered until top is golden brown in spots, about 25 minutes.