Idaho® Potato and Mushroom Saltado
Mushroom Saltado is an incredible plant-based version of the meaty Peruvian Lomo Saltado. This dish is made with stir-fried red onion, yellow bell pepper, tomato, portobello mushrooms, and sautéed in a spicy aji-amarillo sauce. The entire dish comes together when the stir fried veggies are mixed with Idaho Potato French fries! The taste is on another level of delicious with an array of flavor. Traditionally served with steamed rice (ideal for soaking up every last drop of sauce) and drizzled with fresh lemon juice. Meet your new friend, Mushroom Saltado!
- 3 large Idaho® Potatoes, peeled, and cut into 1 inch wedges
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, cut in 1/2 inch slices
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1 inch slices
- 3 tomatoes, cut into 1 inch slices
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon of aji amarillo paste
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Steamed white rice
- Lemon wedges
- Boil potato wedges for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove boiling potatoes from flame and drain. Salt potatoes wedges while still moist.
- In a large frying pan over a medium flame pour in vegetable oil and allow to get hot. Add boiled potato wedges to vegetable oil and fry on each side for 10 minutes or until golden crisp.
- Remove French fries from oil and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain. Reserve oil.
- Place a wok over a high flame and add 4 tablespoons of reserved vegetable oil in the wok. Allow the wok to get very hot.
- Add red onion and yellow bell pepper to wok and stir-fry for 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, portobello mushroom and minced garlic and stir fry for 5 additional minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk aji amarillo paste, soy sauce, red wine vinegar, and apple cider vinegar together. Pour aji-amarillo mixture over stir-fried veggies, and mix well.
- Add French fries to stir-fried veggies and allow to continue to cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle top with cilantro and plate hot.
- Serve with a side of white steamed rice and squeeze fresh lemon juice over the top of mushroom saltado. Enjoy!