Idaho® Potato and Huitlacoche Soup with Oaxaca Cheese Croutons
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 Spanish onion, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 2 large Idaho® potatoes, peeled and diced
- 12 ounces huitlacoche (canned)
- 2 quart chicken stock or water
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces Oaxaca cheese (Chihuahua) or other similar to mozzarella
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups panko bread crumbs
- Olive oil
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan and cook onion and jalapeño pepper until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add potatoes, huitlacoche and stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to simmer and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Let soup rest for 5 minutes. Carefully blend until smooth. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Prepare croutons by cutting cheese into 1/2-in. squares. Dip in flour, then in eggs and then in bread crumbs. Fry cheese in olive oil until golden brown, about 30 to 45 seconds.
- Reheat soup if necessary and serve garnished with cheese croutons.
Yield: 8 servings