Idaho® Potato and Caramelized Onion Tart
Sweet, caramelized onions paired with thinly sliced Idaho® potatoes and crunchy breadcrumbs make one of the world's best comfort foods.
- 1 large (about 9 ounces) Idaho® potato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, melted, divided
- teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese*
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs (plain or seasoned)
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, toss potato slices with 1 tablespoon of the melted butter and the salt. Arrange the slices in a 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom, or 10-inch pie pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While potatoes are baking, prepare the onions: In a small skillet, over medium heat, saute the onion in 3 tablespoons of the melted butter until soft and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Turn the heat down to low, sprinkle the onions with the sugar and continue to cook until onions are deep brown, but not burned or crispy, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When potatoes are done, remove from the oven (leave oven) and spread the onion mixture over them. Sprinkle the top with the cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs with the remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter and sprinkle the mixture over the cheese. Return the tart to the oven to bake an additional 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and crumb topping is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let tart cool 5 minutes before serving.
- * Substitute reduced fat Swiss cheese to reduce calories and fat