Idaho® Home Fry Potato Salad with Poblano Mayonnaise
- 2 pounds Idaho® potatoes (smaller ones; not bakers), boiled in their skins until done, then cooled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 scallions
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 small zucchini
- 6 eggs, hard boiled and peeled
- ¼ cup parsley
- 1 poblano* pepper, roasted, peeled, and cored
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup Greek yogurt, sour cream, or a mix
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Peel the potatoes, then slice into ¼ inch rounds.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and brown the potato slices on both sides. You can cook in batches, if necessary, or just add all the slices to the pan and flip occasionally. If you need a more oil to get the potatoes browned, add it as needed. If a few potatoes don't brown during the flipping, it's not a big deal.
- While the potatoes are cooking, you can make the mayonnaise. Add the poblano pepper, mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, and salt to a blender or food processor and blend until it's as smooth as you can get it.
- Meanwhile, slice the scallions into thin rings and add to a large bowl. Slice the celery stalks lengthwise, then slice thinly and add them to the bowl. Slice the zucchini into thin rounds and add them to the bowl. Chop the parsley and add it to the bowl - save some for garnish, if you like. Peel and chop the eggs roughly and add them to the bowl.
- Add about half of the mayonnaise to the vegetables in the bowl and stir. When the potatoes are done, add them to the bowl, add the remaining mayonnaise, and stir gently, trying not to break up the potatoes.
- Refrigerate the potato salad until chilled. Garish with the reserved parsley before serving, if desired.
Cooking Tip: *Poblano peppers aren't super-spicy, so this isn't going to set your hair on fire - it just adds a mild hint of heat.
Time-Saving Tip: The potatoes can be cooked a day ahead and refrigerated, if it's more convenient. They slice best when they're fully chilled, but it's fine if they're still a little warm after cooking.
Yield: 15 servings
Sodium: 198 mg
Fat: 14 g
Carbs: 12 g
Protein: 4.5 g
Cholesterol: 84 mg