Golden Coins Topped with Country Mashed Idaho® Potatoes
- 5 large Idaho Russet Potatoes
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Tbsp Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small Red bell pepper, cleaned & diced
- 1 Italian sausage, chopped
- 1 Shallot, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup Large curd cottage cheese
- 5 sprigs Thyme
- 5 sprigs Rosemary
- 2 Tbsp Blue Cheese, crumbled
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Peel, cut and cook 3 potatoes in lightly salted water with 1 sprig each of thyme and rosemary until tender, approximately 20 minutes.
- Drain and mash the potatoes. Saute the sausage with the bell pepper, shallot and garlic. Drain off excess liquids from the mixture. Add to the potatoes along with the cottage cheese and season to taste.
- Wash the remaining 2 potatoes and then slice 1/4 inch thick. Saute in skillet with hot butter and olive oil mixture 3-5 minutes each side until golden . Season to taste.
- Transfer the golden potato coins around outside edge of plate and top with mashed potato filling. Sprinkle with crumbled blue cheese. Broil for a few seconds until the blue cheese is melted. Garnish with sprigs of rosemary and thyme.
- Serve with cooked sausage links or as a side dish.