Chicken Stuffed Potato Puffs with Honey Chipotle Drizzle
- 1/8 cup chipotles in adobo, pureed
- 1/2 cup honey
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup water, plus 1 teaspoon water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, plus 1/4 teaspoon
- Pinch of black pepper
- 2 baked Idaho® potatoes (medium-size)
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup flour
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Pre-heat oven to 375° F.
- In a small saucepan, combine pureed chipotles, honey, orange juice, orange zest, water and salt. Let simmer on medium-high heat for 10 minutes until sauce reduces.
- In a separate bowl, mix cornstarch and water. Whisk cornstarch slurry into simmering chipotle mixture until sauce thickens. Strain the chipotle sauce and set aside to cool.
- Rub chicken with smoked paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Place chicken on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 7-10 minutes until cooked through and remove to cool.
- Peel skin off of baked potatoes. In a bowl, mash one potato thoroughly (no lumps). Stir creamed cheese into mashed potato. Dice the other potato into small chunks. Add diced potato, scallion, cheddar cheese, salt and pepper to mashed potato mixture and stir.
- Using a tablespoon measuring spoon, scoop roughly 15 potato balls. Place chicken chunk in the middle of each potato ball, and roll into balls so no chicken is showing.
- On a flat surface or in a bowl, roll each ball in flour, coat with beaten eggs, then dredge in panko breadcrumbs. Add olive oil to a large skillet on medium-high heat, and fry on all sides until each potato puff is golden brown. Place fried potato puffs on paper towel-lined plate.
- Place potato puffs on a plate and drizzle honey chipotle sauce. Serve with sour cream and garnish with chopped scallions.
Yield: 15 Servings (one puff each)
(Recipe Photo Contest Winner)