Fried Idaho® Potato Salad
- 5 pounds Idaho® Potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 1/2 cup cornichon, sliced
- 5 cups sweet onion, small dice
- 5 cups celery, small dice
- 1 1/4 cups flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups mayonnaise, plain
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- 5 cups mashed potatoes, prepared, seasoned, warm
- Seasoned flour for breading, as needed
- As needed mixture of 2C egg whites and 2C buttermilk, whisked well for breading
- As needed Idahoan Instant-Mash Potato Flakes for breading
- Cover diced Idaho® potatoes with cold water and add 1 tablespoon kosher salt. Bring to a boil and cook until just tender.
- Drain and shock to cool. Combine cooled potatoes with remaining ingredients through mashed potatoes in a large bowl and mix gently but completely.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Refrigerate 1 hour until well chilled.
- Have pans of flour ready, seasoned with salt and pepper, egg white/buttermilk mixture and Idahoan Instant Mash Potato Flakes for breading.
- Using a #12 (2-2/3 oz) disher, scoop portions of potato salad into the seasoned flour, coat well and shake off excess flour. Dip floured potato salad into buttermilk mixture and finally roll in potato flakes.
- Place on sheet pans to hold for service.
- At service, deep fry 350°F for 15-20 seconds until crispy on the outside and still cold inside.