Croque Monsieur Loaded Idaho® Potatoes
- 3 pounds Idaho® potatoes, washed and dried
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce shaved plus 1/2 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 2-3 ounces thinly sliced deli ham
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- pinch of nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- thinly sliced green onion or chopped chives for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Lay potatoes evenly on a baking sheet, poke holes in each potato with a fork, then drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle salt over potatoes. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Let potatoes cool for 10 minutes, then slice the ends off and slice potatoes into coins.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter, then add in the flour and whisk. Add milk slowly, whisking continuously. Add nutmeg and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, whisking for 2 minutes. Set-aside until ready to use, whisking to keep it smooth.
- Lay coins in casserole dish, spreading a slice of the shaved gruyere on top of each coin, then ham, and drizzle with the sauce. Add another layer, topping with the gruyere, ham and sauce.
- Place back in the oven for 10 minutes to melt cheese and crisp the ham.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining sauce and shredded gruyere.
- Garnish with green onions or chopped chives, if desired.
Yield: 6 servings