California Scramble with Idaho® Potatoes
This hearty California Scramble with Idaho® Potatoes gets a little extra kick from a spicy Ranchero sauce.
- 4 oz. (½ cup) oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 jalapeños, chopped
- 1 whole Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 sprig thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 medium vine-ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cans (8 oz. ea.) crushed tomatoes
- 8 oz. (1 cup) chicken broth
- 8 lb. small Idaho® red potatoes, quartered
- ¼ cup chopped garlic
- ¼ cup fresh rosemary, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh thyme, chopped
- ½ cup oil
- 2 lb., 13 oz.* eggs (26 large), beaten
- 2 lb. smoked turkey breast, cut thick and cubed
- 4 cups avocados, cubed
- 1 lb. Jack cheese, shredded
*If using frozen or liquid whole egg product.
- For the Ranchero Sauce, in a sauté pan make a roux with the oil and flour, heat until deep brown, about 3 minutes and set aside.
- In a sauce pot sauté the jalapeños, onion and herbs together until onions are translucent. Add tomatoes and broth. Bring to a low simmer, stir occasionally for about 15 minutes.
- Add the roux and whisk in until thickens into a creamy consistency. Set aside and keep warm.
- Toss potatoes with with garlic, rosemary, thyme and oil. Roast in preheated 350° F oven until fork tender, about 45 minutes. Set aside and keep warm.
- Scramble eggs with turkey, avocado and cheese. Plate potatoes, top with scrambled eggs and Ranchero Sauce. Garnish with sprig of thyme if desired.
Note: Do not let uncooked egg mixture remain at room temperature for longer than one hour (including preparation and service time).
Recipe courtesy of the American Egg Board.