Bombay Chili Cheese Fries
- 15-16 large Idaho® potatoes
- 1 bunch cilantro
- pinch of salt
- pinch of black salt
- pinch of dried mango powder (amchoor)
Ingredients for Kheema
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1-½ tablespoon cumin seed
- 4 cups diced onion
- 2 tablespoons diced ginger
- 2 tablespoons diced Serrano peppers
- ¼ cup ginger-garlic paste (puree equal parts ginger and garlic)
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons coriander powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- chopped cilantro, as needed
- 5 pounds ground turkey or lamb
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ⅓ quart yogurt
- 4 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Heat oil in a large rondeau (wide bottom pot). Once hot, add peppercorns and cumin seed. Let cumin sputter, then add onion, ginger and Serannos. Sauté for several minutes until the onions turn golden and soft.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté for another minute before adding turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chili powder, garam masala and a handful of chopped cilantro.
- Sauté mixture briefly before adding ground turkey or lamb. Season with 1 tablespoon salt and cook mixture, stirring continuously to break meat apart, until meat is cooked through.
- Add yogurt and cook until liquid evaporates.
- Add tomatoes, potatoes, sugar and vinegar and continue simmering for 2-30 minutes.
- Pile fresh Masala Fries on a serving plate and top with a scoop of Kheema (8 ounces for 12 serving yield). Top with shredded mozzarella or Havarti cheese. Garnish with chopped cilantro. A dash of Sriracha hot sauce is optional.