Blue Cheese Idaho® Potato Chips
- Blue Cheese Idaho Potato Chips
- 2 medium Idaho® russet potatoes (70 count), unpeeled, sliced 1/16 inch
- Canola oil as needed for deep frying
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Sea salt, as needed
- 8 ounces Blue Cheese Sauce (recipe follows)
- 1/4 cup Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup cooked, crumbled applewood-smoked bacon
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped parsley (optional)
- Blue Cheese Sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- White pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 tablespoons blue cheese crumbles
- Prepare potato chips: Soak potato slices in ice water 30 minutes; drain well; pat dry with paper towels. In deep fryer, fry in 350F oil until golden brown and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain potato chips on paper towels, lightly sprinkle with sea salt. Cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Once completely cooled, chips may be stored covered at room temperature up to 2 days, but they will be best served immediately.
- Per portion: Mound 1 1/2 ounces potato chips on plate. Ladle 2 ounces warm Blue Cheese Sauce over chips. Top with 1 tablespoon each of Gorgonzola and bacon. Place on bottom shelf of melter or broiler to soften cheese crumbles until they begin to bubble, being careful not to burn chips. If desired, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon parsley. Serve immediately. (May also be served in larger portions as shareable appetizer.)
- Combine oil, flour, salt and white pepper in small saucepan; cook over medium heat until mixture is blonde in color, 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk, stirring well to prevent lumps. Stir constantly until mixture comes to boil, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In small bowl, use fork to mash blue cheese crumbles into paste. Whisk into sauce, stirring to combine. Reserve warm. (Or, sauce may be reserved refrigerated up to 2 days. Reheat over low heat, stirring, before service. Do not microwave.)