Idaho® Potato and Steak Mini Eggrolls with Creamy Steak Sauce
- 4 ounces round steak, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 medium Idaho® potato (5 1/2 oz.), scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 12 wonton wrappers
- 2 cups canola or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce or to taste*
- Sprinkle beef with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat; cook the beef 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pierce potato with fork several times. Microwave potato on high setting for 4 minutes. Let cool slightly and remove skin. In a medium bowl, mash potato with cream cheese and butter.
- Stir in beef, garlic powder, onion powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- On a flat surface, spread out wonton wrappers and place 1 tablespoon of filling in the center of each wrapper. Wet the edges with water, gather ends together and twist the top to resemble a large candy kiss. (May also roll as you would a small burrito.)
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat until it reads 350° F on a digital thermometer or candy thermometer.
- Working in batches, add 6 eggrolls and fry for 1 1/2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oil to a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat with remaining eggrolls.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise and steak sauce.
- Serve eggrolls with mayonnaise and steak sauce mixture for dipping.
*Cook’s Tip: For more intense, pronounced and tangy “steak sauce” flavor, whisk together 1/3 cup mayonnaise with 1/3 cup steak sauce.