BBQ Chicken & Idaho® Potato Frites
- 3 large Idaho® potatoes (football sized), washed and cut into thin strips
- Oil and fryer
- BBQ Chicken Sauce: see note below
- 1 roasted chicken breast, shredded (can be store bought)
- 2 cups quality ketchup
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons quality prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Caramelized Red Onions
- 1 large red onion, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons quality olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- Garnish Options
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dried parsley forgarnish, or
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons roasted corn
- Heat oil to 325°F for the first fry.
- Fry Idaho® potatoes for 2-3 minutes and drain on paper towels, set aside to cool. Start the BBQ chicken sauce in a medium sauce pot over low heat (let simmer to develop flavors).
- Place onions in a sauté pan over medium heat with butter and oil and sauté about 20 minutes to develop rich brown color. Add the wine and deglaze stirring pan bits and cook an additional 15-20 minutes or until dry.
- When ready to serve:
- Raise temperature on oil to 375°F and refry the Idaho® potatoes until golden brown. Drain on paper towels again.
- Place potatoes on service plate. Ladle with BBQ chicken sauce on top, then caramelized onions, and finally the cheese.
- Place under a salamander or in a broiler for about 2 minutes to melt and start to brown the cheese (keep an eye on this step). Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Yield: 4 servings
Oak Grove Island Golf and Country Club