Jean's Baked Potato Soup
- 10 Idaho Potatoes (5 lbs.)
- 2 3/4 qt. chicken stock (5 1/2 lbs.)
- 3/4 cup margarine (6 oz.)
- 4 1/2 cup diced onions (1 3/4 lbs.)
- 2 cups diced celery (1 lb.)
- 1 1/2 cup flour (6 oz.)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (8 oz.)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream (6 oz.)
- 3/4 cup cooked, crumbled bacon
- 3/4 cup sour cream (6 oz.)
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 1 cup chopped green onions (6 oz.)
- Bake Idaho Potatoes.
- Cool, peel and cut into large chunks.
- Bring chicken stock to a boil.
- Melt margarine in a non-reactive pot.
- Add onions and celery; sauté about 5 minutes. Add flour; cook 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in chicken stock, blending well. Bring to a boil.
- Add Idaho Potatoes; reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes.
- Stir in cheddar cheese, cream and bacon; heat through.
- Remove soup from heat; stir in sour cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish each serving with green onions, additional crumbled bacon and herbs, if desired.*
Yield: 12 servings
Sodium: 1181 mg
Fat: 33 g
Protein: 19 g
Cholesterol: 55 mg
Sodexo at Northwestern University