The perfect baked French fries are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- 3 large russet Idaho® potatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice potatoes long ways and then cut into fry-shaped pieces.
- Place potatoes in a bowl of cold water and let them soak for at least 20 minutes.
- Drain and pat fries dry.
- Return to the bowl and toss with the oil until evenly coated. Season with salt.
- Spread out on baking sheets so the fries are in a single layer. You might need two sheets to get them spaced out.
- Place in the oven and bake 25-30 minutes, turning after 15 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and serve hot!
Tips to Make Baked French Fries Like a Pro
- When cutting the potatoes into the fries, try to make them the same size as much as possible for even cooking.
- Soaking the potatoes in cold water is the key to removing some of the starch and getting crispy fries.
- Make sure to dry the fries really well after soaking them and before tossing them with the oil.
- Line the baking sheets with parchment paper for easier cleanup!
- Play with other seasonings. In the video above we use sautéed garlic, chili powder and chives but you can experiment with paprika, cayenne, garlic salt and parsley.
- Go beyond the ketchup with it comes to dips to accompany your fries too. Here in Idaho we're all about our fry sauce!
Still have french fried potato questions? Looking for more recipes?
We've got you covered with All Things French Fried Potatoes!