Baked Tomatoes Stuffed with Cheesy Idaho® Potatoes
Stuff tomato "bowls" with Idaho® potatoes, seasonings and low-fat cheese for an eye-catching, palate-pleasing side dish.
- 6 large, firm, unpeeled tomatoes
- 3 cups mashed Idaho® potatoes (using fresh potatoes or instant potato flakes prepared according to package directions)
- 1/4 cup fresh, chopped chives
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 - 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Using a paring knife, remove the stem end of each tomato. Using a grapefruit spoon, small melon baller or a teaspoon, carefully hollow out each tomato, removing seeds and juice. Sprinkle the inside of each tomato with a little salt, and place the tomatoes upside down on a cooling rack to drain for about 15 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the potatoes, chives, thyme, pepper and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese. Fill tomato cups with the potato mixture using a teaspoon.
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, remaining 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and paprika; sprinkle on top of each tomato.
- Place filled tomatoes in nonstick or well-oiled muffin cups. Bake 10 - 15 minutes until topping is crisp and tomatoes are heated through.