Vegan Slow Cooker Curry Pot Pie with Idaho® Potatoes
- 2½ cups Idaho® potatoes, chopped
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1½ cups butternut squash, chopped
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated, or 1 teaspoon dry ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ cup plain unsweetened soy milk or non-dairy milk of your choice
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⅔ to 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour, plus ¼ cup extra for the cutting board
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or other mild oil
- Spray your 4 to 5-quart slow cooker with oil to aid in clean up.
- Add all the stew ingredients to your slow cooker and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
- Note: If your slow cooker runs hot or boils on low, add an additional ½ cup of liquid.
- 15 minutes before serving preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Mix the soy milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside so it will curdle. Note: this will only work with soy milk because of its protein content.
- Mix 1⅔ cups whole wheat pastry flour, cumin seeds, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the avocado oil to the soy milk mixture and stir until incorporated.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix well.
- If the dough is too sticky add the additional ⅓ cup whole wheat flour.
- Flour a cutting board and transfer the dough to it. Roll or pat into a round of about ½˝ thickness.
- Use a small cookie cutter or cut into 1˝ squares.
- Roll up the excess dough and repeat until all the dough is used.
- 15 minutes before serving stir the stew, taste and add additional salt and spices as needed.
- Then arrange the uncooked biscuits on top of the stew in the slow cooker, and remove the crock.
- Put your slow cooker crock, uncovered, into your oven and bake 8 to 12 minutes, or until the biscuits have set and have slightly browned.