Classic Idaho® Red Potato Pizza
My children adore pizza, I think they get that from me, I am a lover of the limitless flavor combinations, but also the hands on cooking approach that making pizza at home brings – everyone piles into the kitchen to create their ideal meal making it a really family cooking experience. Beyond the typical pizza crust, we love making potatoes pizza’s because they re-invent left overs, and red potato’s make the perfect base for a potato pizza.
- 8 Idaho® Red Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1-2 cups of tomatoes sauce or pizza sauce
- 8 slices of mozzarella cheese
- variety of toppings like olives, pepperoni, meatballs, peppers….
- Pre-heat your oven to 375° F. Slice your Idaho® Red potatoes across the length to create the largest top area possible, and delicately drizzle olive oil across the top. Place them on a baking sheet and cover loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes, or until they are ¾ of the way cooked. If you are using left over potatoes, fully cooked Reds work just as well.
- Once baked, remove them from the oven and transfer to a cool baking sheet lined with foil and smash the surface of the Red to flatten it.
- Top with tomato sauce, mozzarella and your favorite pizza topping.
- Turn the heat of your oven up to 475° F, and place your potatoes pizzas in the oven to bake for a further 15 minutes, or until your cheese is melted.
Time Saving Tip: Make an extra batch of pre-baked Reds and freeze them for quick potato pizzas for a warm afterschool snack.