Twice Baked Idaho® Potatoes with Swedish Meatballs
- 2 pounds Idaho® potatoes, washed and dried*
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound of ground beef and ground pork mixture (1/4 pound each)
- 3/4 large onion, divided (1/3 cup grated, 1/4 cup finely minced)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup jarlsberg cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 green onion, sliced thinly for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 400° F .
- Lay potatoes evenly on a baking sheet, poke holes in each potato with a fork, then drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle salt over potatoes. Bake for 45 minutes.
- While potatoes are baking, assemble your meatballs. Mix meat, 1/4 cup finely minced onion, milk, breadcrumbs, both peppers and salt in a mixing bowl with hands. Mix well and form small meatballs (slightly smaller than golf balls).
- In a large, heavy, non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook meatballs for 10 minutes, flipping mid-way through. Reduce heat to low and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from oven when done baking, slice in half (non-lengthwise), and to cool for 15 minutes
- Reduce oven to 350° F.
- Stand potatoes up in a small casserole dish, using foil in the middle to keep them standing up if the dish is larger than the amount of room the potatoes take up (this keeps them in place). Remove the interior portion of the baked potato (I used a grapefruit spoon, but a melon-baller would work too), leaving a small amount around the edges to keep the skin attached and giving a stable shell to refill later.
- Add the interior portion of the potatoes that you just removed to the bowl of a mixer, then add the sour cream, jarlsberg cheese, grated onion and salt and pepper. Mix on medium speed until all ingredients are combined and texture is light and fluffy. Add additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Refill the potato skin shells with the mixture. Return to oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and top with a meatball. Top with sliced green onion if desired.