Tuna Wasabi Lobster Idaho® Potato Cakes
- 4 each Ahi tuna steaks, 1 1/4" thick, approximately 9 ounces
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil
- 1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely diced
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 4 teaspoons black & white sesame seeds, toasted
- 8 each Wasabi Lobster Potato Cakes - recipe listed below
- 1 cup Fennel Tarragon Slaw - recipe listed below
- 8 springs fennel fronds for garnish
- Wasabi Lobster Potato Cakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh shallots, finely chopped
- 8 ounces cooked lobster meat, medium diced
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh garlic, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 ounce cognac
- 1 1/4 pound Idaho® potatoes, 70 count, peeled
- 2 each eggs beaten
- 2 teaspoons wasabi paste
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying
- Place the olive oil, rice vinegar, ginger, orange juice and zest, sesame oil, curry powder, soy sauce, kosher salt and black pepper into a large bowl and mix well. Arrange the ahi tuna steaks in a shallow hotel pan; pour the marinade over the steaks. Allow to marinate for 2 hours in the refrigerator turning frequently.
- Remove the ahi from the marinade pat dry with paper towels and lightly season with salt and black pepper.
- On a preheated broiler lightly oil the grill rack; place the ahi over a medium hot fire. Cook for approximately 4-5 minutes per side or until a medium rare degree of doneness is reached. Remove from the grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes in a warm area.
- In the center of 4 decorative serving platters place 2 Wasabi Lobster Cakes, garnish each grilled ahi steak with a teaspoon of the toasted sesame seeds.
- Using a sharp knife slice each ahi steak into 5 slices across the grain. Arrange the slices in an overlapping fashion in front of the potato cakes on each platter. Place 1/4 cup of the Fennel Tarragon Slaw slightly on top of the sliced ahi to form a "crown".
- Garnish each platter with 2 fronds of fresh fennel, serve immediately.
- Place the olive oil into a large heated sauté pan; add the shallots sauté for 3-4 minutes over medium heat until softened. Add the garlic and lobster meat and continue to cook for and additional 2 minutes. Add the thyme, lemon zest and cognac and allow to reduce. Remove from the heat to cool.
- Coarsely shred the peeled potatoes using a food processor and immerse into ice water. In small batches place into towels and squeeze dry.
- Place the potatoes into a large bowl; separately mix the eggs with the wasabi paste. Add to the potatoes along with the cooled lobster mixture, chives, salt and black pepper.
- In batches place the vegetable oil onto a 375® F flat top grill; place 1/2 cup portions of the potato mixture onto the grill and flatten slightly. Sauté for 2-3 minutes or until fully cooked. Remove from the grill and hold in a warm area for immediate platting.
Yield: 4 Servings
Michael J Watz
Loews Club Restaurant