Tackling Tater Tacos with Honey Chipotle Slaw and Chorizo Crema
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 large Idaho® potatoes, washed & diced
- ½ cup finely chopped sweet onion
- Several pinches salt and black pepper, divided
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 ounces bulk chorizo
- 1 cup Mexican crema
- 1 medium jicama, peeled and julienned
- 1 cup sliced baby bell pepper rings
- 2 minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- Juice of two limes
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 6 corn tortillas
- ¾ cup crumbled queso fresco
- 2 tablespoon minced cilantro
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the potatoes and onion, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until potatoes are golden brown.
- Stir in the garlic, chili powder, paprika, cumin, coriander, oregano, and another pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until potatoes are crispy around the edges.
- In a small skillet over medium high heat, cook the chorizo, crumbling it as finely as possible. Drain chorizo then allow it to cool completely.
- Stir the cooled chorizo into the crema.
- In a small bowl combine the jicama and bell pepper rings to make the slaw. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the chipotle peppers, lime juice, and honey. Toss to coat.
- Top each tortilla with the potato mixture followed by the slaw. Add a spoonful of the chorizo crema and sprinkle with queso fresco and cilantro.
Yield: 6 servings