Spiralized Vegan Latkes with Red Cabbage and Apple
There’s nothing quite like a comforting potato latke, but this recipe will have your family and friends dazzled by the colors and extra flavor.
Instead of serving with applesauce, we’ve added spiralized apple right in with the potato. The red cabbage adds nutrition, flavor and beauty.
Read Kathy's complete post on this recipe here.
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed mixed with ½ cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups spiralized peeled Idaho® potatoes (about 1 large baking potato)
- 2 cups spiralized red cabbage (about ½ small cabbage)
- 1 cup spiralized onion (about ½ small onion)
- 1 cup spiralized apple (about 1 large apple)
- ¼ cup olive oil, for baking
- Preheat your oven to 425°F. Prepare 2 baking sheets by greasing heavily with olive oil, you will use ⅛ cup per baking sheet.
- Please note that you are using the small noodle blade on your spiralizer to prepare the vegetables.
- Mix the salt and pepper into the flax mixture which will be very thick after it absorbs the water. This is our egg substitute.
- Mix the potato, cabbage, onion, and apple in a large mixing bowl. I suggest getting in there and mixing it with your hands. You want to make sure you get a bite of each one in your latkes.
- Add in the seasoned flax mixture and mix with a spoon until the flax coats everything. This will take a little longer than you think it should, but don’t give up.
- Place the greased sheet pans in the oven for 6 minutes to heat up the oil.
- Carefully remove from the oven and remember they are hot while you are adding the latkes!
- Scoop ¼ cup of the latke mixture onto the hot baking pan (it may sizzle) and press down or shape using a wooden spoon. Repeat until all the mixture is used.
- Using a potholder, put the baking sheets back in the oven.
- Cook on one side for 15 minutes, then carefully take the baking sheets out and flip the latkes using a spatula.
- Bake again for 18-12 minutes.
- Serve with unsweetened non-dairy yogurt or sour cream and enjoy!