- 5-ounce can pink salmon, drained, or 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked fresh salmon
- 2 egg whites
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup salt-free breadcrumbs
- 4 teaspoons honey mustard, divided
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 4 cups frozen Idaho® potato hash browns, thawed
- Cooking spray
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 thick tomato slices
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and cut into 8 slices
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the salmon, egg whites, onion, breadcrumbs, and 1 tablespoon of the mustard. In another small bowl, combine the remaining mustard with the mayonnaise and set aside. Press one-quarter of the salmon mixture into a 1/2-cup measuring cup, and gently remove it to retain the shape, forming it into a patty. Place it on a baking sheet and repeat with the remaining salmon.
- Squeeze any excess water from the hash browns. Press one-quarter of the hash browns into a 1/2-cup measuring cup, and gently remove it to retain the shape, forming it into a patty. Place it on the baking sheet and repeat with the remaining hash browns to form the “buns”.
- Spray the patties and “buns” with cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the salmon patties and keep warm; leave the “buns” in the oven.
- Increase the temperature to 450° F and cook the “buns” for another 5 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Place a salmon patty, on each of 4 plates. Top with equal amounts of the mayonnaise mixture, a lettuce leaf, tomato slice, 2 avocado slices and top with “bun”.
Cook’s Tip: Salt-free breadcrumbs may be purchased at health food stores
Yield: 4 servings; 1 burger per serving
Sugar: 3 g
Sodium: 598 mg
Fat: 2 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Carbs: 47 g
Fiber: 6 g
Protein: 29 g
Cholesterol: 71 mg