Pink Idaho® Potato Candy Hearts
- 1 small Idaho® Russet potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring, and more if needed
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 1½ pounds powdered sugar
- ½ cup roasted almonds, chopped
- ½ cup roasted salted pistachios, chopped.
- ½ pound dark chocolate, melted and tempered
- Place peeled potato into pot with enough water to cover.
- Add 2 teaspoons of red food coloring and a pinch of salt. Cook over medium-high heat until fork tender.
- Press the (now brightly colored) potatoes through ricer or fine mesh. Measure ⅓ cup and place in bowl of stand mixer. Add heavy cream and vanilla.
- Mix on low speed with the paddle attachment. Slowly add powdered sugar one cup at a time until a firm dough is created. If the mixture looks too pink add a splash of red food coloring. The amount of sugar will vary depending on the moisture of the potato.
- Divide dough in half.
- Spread half of the almonds on work surface. Place one piece of the dough (half the batch) on top of nuts, sprinkle remaining nuts on top of dough and roll dough into a square about ¼ inch thick. Using heart-shaped cookie cutters, cut out hearts and place on parchment lined sheet tray.
- Repeat with pistachios and the other half of the dough.
- Potato hearts will firm up as they stand. When they are firm, dip one side in chocolate. Let chocolate set before placing on serving tray.
Yield: 4 dozen small hearts