Kerala Potato Stew
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely julienned
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 serrano chilies, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus as needed
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 pound Idaho® Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
- ½ pound carrots, cut into ½-inch-thick disks
- ¼ pound green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the ginger, garlic, bay leaves, chilies, turmeric and black pepper. Season with salt and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, potatoes and carrots and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook for 15 minutes, covered, until the potatoes and carrots are fork-tender.
- Add the green beans and cook for another 2 minutes, uncovered. Add the coconut milk and let simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve warm.