Indian-Spiced Idaho® Potato Latkes
- 1 pound Idaho® potatoes, peeled
- 1 small onion, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and crushed or grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon garam masala spice mix
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup avocado oil, for shallow frying
- 1 scallion, green and white parts, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup store-bought or homemade mango chutney, for serving (optional)
- Grate the potato into a large mixing bowl; stir in the onion, garlic, ginger, garam masala, salt, and egg to combine.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large, heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Use a 2 tablespoon-sized scoop to measure the potato mixture into the skillet (the skillet should hold 4 pancakes at a time without being crowded), and flatten the mixture slightly with a metal spatula. Cook the pancakes until crisp and golden on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes per side, flipping once halfway through.
- Transfer the cooked pancakes to a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil, and then transfer them to an oven-safe serving platter and keep warm in a 300º F oven until serving.
- Cook the remaining potato mixture in batches the same way, adding 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet for each batch.
- Sprinkle the scallion on top and serve the latkes with mango chutney, if desired.
Yield: 18 latkes (9 servings)
Sodium: 141 g
Fat: 9 g
Carbs: 11 g
Protein: 2 g
Cholesterol: 21 mg