Indian Idaho® Potato Salad
When it’s hot outside there’s nothing like a cold potato salad for dinner. This Indian Potato Salad is a whole meal in itself. In addition to Idaho® Potatoes and flavorful Indian spices, it has carrots, peas, and chickpeas. All you need to add is an icy cold glass of tea.
Don't have a instant pot/pressure cooker – not to worry. There's stovetop preps included too!
2 pounds Idaho® red potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup diced carrots (I used purple carrots, but any color is fine)
- 1 cup green peas (fresh or thawed frozen)
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can chickpeas drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons olive oil (or other mild oil)
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumins seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
½ cup (packed) mint leaves
- ½ cup (packed) fresh cilantro
- ½ inch knob fresh ginger, cut into pieces
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Place the potatoes, water, and carrots into your Instant Pot and cook on manual, high pressure, for 10 minutes.
- Manually release the pressure and remove the lid. Add the peas, replace the lid and cook on manual, low pressure, for 0 minutes. Yes, I really mean zero minutes.
- Once it's done, which will be a few minutes since it will need time to come back up to pressure, release the pressure manually.
- Pour everything into a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Once hot add the cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and mustard seeds and saute until they become fragrant about 2 minutes.
- Lower the heat and add the garam masala and the minced garlic. Saute 1 minute more. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Add all the cilantro-mint chutney ingredients to a small food processor and pulse until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl add the cooled vegetables, the cooled sauteed oil spice mixture, and the chutney and mix well.
- You can serve it as is, or chill for at least an hour to get it nice and cold. Enjoy!
*Note: If you don’t have an instant pot/pressure cooker, you can still make this delicious salad. Just cook the potatoes and carrots in a pot on your stove over medium heat until they are easily pierced with a fork. Remove from heat and add peas, cover and let sit for about 5 minutes, or until the peas are cooked. Then start on step 4 above.
Yield: 4-6 Servings