Idahoan® Roasted Garlic and Parmesan Potato Soup with Peppers, Carrots and Pesto
Although seasoned Idahoan® mashed potatoes are meant to be reconstituted as a mashed potato side dish, they have many other uses! A packet of Idahoan® Roasted Garlic and Parmesan Baby Reds Mashed Potatoes is a wonderful starter for a comforting bowl of chunky, vegetable-centric soup. Chicken stock makes the flavor more complex, the caramelized vegetables add nutrition and depth and we carry the Parmesan theme through to the end with grated cheese. A colorful dollop of pesto seals the deal on this lunch or dinner meal that’s ready in under 30 minutes.
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, stemmed and chopped into 1˝ pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded, stemmed and chopped into 1˝ pieces
- 1 small onion, skinned, root end removed and sliced into wedges
- 6-8 ounces carrots, tops removed and chopped into ½˝ dice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-quart unsalted or low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- Ground pepper – 10-15 or so turns of the pepper mill
- 1 (4.1-ounce) package Idahoan® Roasted Garlic and Parmesan Baby Reds Mashed Potatoes (dehydrated flakes)
- ⅓-½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Garnish: prepared basil pesto (either jarred or homemade)
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Line a sheet pan with foil. Add red and yellow peppers, onions and carrots to the pan and drizzle with olive oil. Stir to coat vegetables.
- Roast for 20 minutes; vegetable edges may begin to brown and caramelize, which is fine.
- When vegetables are near the end of their roasting time, bring stock and pepper to a boil. If you are using unsalted stock, add a pinch of kosher salt. If you are using low-sodium broth, wait until the very end to taste test for salt.
- When vegetables are done, take the broth off the heat and add vegetables and contents of the potato packet to the broth.
- Stir well to combine, cover and let sit for 5 or so minutes. Taste and add a pinch of kosher salt if needed; remember the Parmesan cheese will add more salt.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and top each with shredded Parmesan cheese and a dollop of basil pesto.