Creepy Idaho® Potato Critters: Purple Vampire Bat
- 4 cups prepared mashed Idaho® potatoes (your favorite recipe or instant)
- Neon purple liquid food coloring
- 8 Kernels frozen corn (thawed)
- 2 Pimiento pieces (pushed from stuffed olives)
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the food coloring to the potatoes a few drops at a time, stirring to combine. Add more coloring to achieve the desired shade of purple.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons of the potatoes onto the center of each of 4 microwave-safe plates. With clean, damp fingers, shape each scoop of potatoes into a vertical rectangle about 1½ X 3½-inches, forming the bodies of the bats. Spoon remaining potatoes into a plastic, zip-top sandwich bag; press out the air and zip it closed. Snip one-half inch off of one corner at the bottom of the bag.
- By squeezing the potatoes out of the hole in the bag, pipe a 5-inch wide, shallow, inverted "V" on each side of the rectangle bat body to form the top of the bat's wings. Then pipe a wide "W" to form the underside of the wings. Squeeze some potatoes in the center of the wing and spread with a small spatula to fill them in.
- To finish, create ears on the top of the body with two corn kernels; use a small piece of red pimiento for the bat's mouth. Repeat with the remaining potatoes on three additional plates to make a total of four bats. Reheat the bats in the microwave and serve.
Nutrition facts assume that potatoes are prepared with water and no added fat.